Category Archives: Upminster Buildings & Places

Upminster Rectory and the Parish Glebe

Most Upminster folk know that the building west of St Laurence Church, off Gridiron Place, is the former parish rectory, now used as offices, but many are probably unaware that until 1929 Upminster Park to the south of the church … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

God’s Acre – St Laurence Churchyard

By tradition known as “God’s Acre”, the parish churchyard is the place where generations of parishioners found their final resting place. The churchyard of St Laurence is no exception, with some gravestones and tombs dating back over three hundred years … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Upminster: St Laurence, Parish Church

“Among all the impressive objects that happy England can show, none are more interesting and elevating than her village churches”, wrote Upminster’s historian Thomas Lewis Wilson in 1856. Those comments certainly apply to Upminster’s St Laurence Church which, although much … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Picturing the Branfill family

The Branfill family of Upminster Hall were prominent landowners in Upminster for over two hundred years from 1685 but we have had no images to show us what they looked like. Upminster’s historian Thomas Lewis Wilson recorded a long list … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places, Upminster People & Events | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Upminster Hall: manor and estate

This is the third and final article about Upminster Hall, its owners, and the manor and estate.
Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , | 12 Comments

Upminster Hall: owners and buildings

Upminster Hall and its estate have a history that can be traced back almost a thousand years to before the Norman Conquest of 1066. Unlike Upminster’s other main manor, Gaynes, which frequently changed hands before it was split up and … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | 3 Comments

South Upminster: gravel pits and ancient bits

The part of Upminster which stretches south from Corbets Tey, bordered on the west by Rainham, by North Ockendon to the east and Aveley to the south and south-west, has few inhabitants and a landscape scarred by past and present … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Big houses and farms around Corbets Tey

The two previous items about Corbets Tey have looked at the village and the area around Hacton. This third piece looks at four large houses and farms around the village centre, three of which still survive, and shines a light … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Around Corbets Tey: Hacton Hamlet

The populous Upminster hamlet of Hacton seems to be one of three clusters of medieval settlement in the parish, the other two being the village centre and Corbets Tey. The area was to the west of the Gaynes manor estate … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Corbets Tey Village

During much of the Victorian era the hamlet of Corbets Tey supported three alehouses, and boasted a full range of local services including a Post Office, butcher, baker, a grocer and drapers, as well as two carpenters, a blacksmith, wheelwright, … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 11 Comments