Tag Archives: Upminster

St Mary’s Lane, North side: Part 2 – from Garbutt Road to the Cosy Corner Crossroads

The article follows on from the last one which covered the eastern part of the north side, from the Cranham boundary to Garbutt Road. We therefore pick up the story at the west side of Garbutt Road, and continue westwards, … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 10 Comments

St Mary’s Lane, North side: Part 1 – from the Cranham boundary to Garbutt Road

The earlier article about the south side of St Mary’s Lane ended at the Cranham boundary so that’s where this exploration of the opposite, north side starts. The south side had historically formed the New Place Estate, only developed for … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 9 Comments

The Road to Cranham – Part 1 South Side

It’s almost half a mile from the main Upminster crossroads eastwards along St Mary’s Lane to the parish boundary with Cranham and although this now forms a continuous stretch of shops and houses, a century ago the stretch of road … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 13 Comments

The hidden history of Harold Court

Where in Upminster parish was a building erected as a gentleman’s house, that became a children’s home, a “lunatic asylum”, TB sanatorium, local hospital, education college and now flats? Give up? It’s Harold Court, close to the northern extremity of … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , | 1 Comment

Historic Upminster Hill

The stretch of St Mary’s Lane running westwards from the main crossroads towards Hornchurch, running down Upminster Hill to the River Ingrebourne at Upminster Bridge, is an area steeped in history, with the greatest concentration of old and listed buildings … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 10 Comments

Upminster’s Victorian Scandal: Rev P M Holden’s life and times

On this day, 19th January, in 1873, now 143 years ago, the congregation assembled as usual to worship at Upminster’s St Laurence Church and to hear the sermon of their Rector, the Reverend Philip Melancthon Holden, whose “fire & brimstone” orations were … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster People & Events | Tagged , , , , , | 5 Comments

A walk down Corbets Tey Road

Earlier articles have looked at the history of the area of Upminster south of St Mary’s Lane, including New Place, High House, Hoppy Hall and Gaynes Park. This piece takes a look at the history of the other properties which … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

A village at war: Upminster 1914-18

When the newly completed St Laurence church hall had opened on 17 April 1914, “the result of a year’s labour”, few would have guessed that within four months it would be pressed into emergency service as a hospital as part … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster People & Events | Tagged , , , | 13 Comments

Going Up The Junction?

To folk of my generation the phrase “Up the Junction” conjures up distant memories of a controversial 1965 BBC play, starring Carol White (later of “Cathy Come Home” & “Poor Cow” fame), made into a film a few years later … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Upminster Court – final flourish of the great house

As you travel up Hall Lane, past the golf clubhouse at Upminster Hall on your right, just before you reach the roundabout with Avon Road, on your left stands the grand and recently restored Edwardian mansion of Upminster Court, overlooking … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , | 4 Comments