Tag Archives: New Place

The Road to Cranham – Part 1 South Side

It’s almost half a mile from the main Upminster crossroads eastwards along St Mary’s Lane to the parish boundary with Cranham and although this now forms a continuous stretch of shops and houses, a century ago the stretch of road … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 9 Comments

Who was Sir James Esdaile?

Those familiar with Upminster’s history will know that Sir James Esdaile (c.1714 to 1793) was a major land-owner who was responsible for rebuilding many of Upminster’s largest residences and buildings including Gaynes, New Place, Harwood Hall and the Bell Inn.  … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster People & Events | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | 13 Comments

New Place – lost jewel in Upminster’s crown

How strange that one of Upminster’s finest houses, Sir James Esdaile’s New Place built around 1775, fell into poor repair and was demolished in 1924, while the adjacent stable block survives to this day?  And that after New Place was … Continue reading

Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 8 Comments