Tag Archives: Gaynes Park
The sorry legacy of Hoppy Hall
A Royal Mail sorting office, a BP Petrol Station and a car park bearing the name of Hoppy Hall are a sorry legacy for the site of one of Upminster’s oldest houses, whose grounds were graced by one of the … Continue reading
Who was Sir James Esdaile?
Those familiar with Upminster’s history will know that Sir James Esdaile (c.1714 to 1793) was a major land-owner who was responsible for rebuilding many of Upminster’s largest residences and buildings including Gaynes, New Place, Harwood Hall and the Bell Inn. … Continue reading
Gaynes Park – perhaps Upminster’s least loved manor house
In contrast to Upminster Hall, which continues to be part of Upminster’s heritage and which was owned for over 200 years by the same family, the Branfills, the Gaynes Park estate and its manor house survive now only in name … Continue reading
Posted in Upminster Buildings & Places Tagged architect, Clayton Family, Gaynes Park, Henry Joslin, James Paine, Sir James Esdaile, Upminster 10 Comments